Self Employed Scheme Phase 2 Claims Open from Today.

The SEISS Phase 2 Claim window opens today. Please find below a link to the government website where you can check eligibility, and claim for, the second SEISS payment. You should be able to check eligibility even if you have not been contacted by the HMRC since you received the first claim. If you were not eligible for the first claim, you will not be eligible for this one.

SEISS Website

This second claim will be for 70% of 3 months of their average income from 2016-19, capped at £6,570. This is expected to be the final payment under the scheme.

To be eligible you would need to:

  • Have traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year
  • Have traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020
  • Intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021
  • Were eligible for the first SEISS grant (even if you did not claim it)
  • Have had a trade which was still adversely affected by Coronavirus on or after 14th July 2020

Only people who’s self employed income is more than 50% of their total taxable income for the year are eligible.

Your business could be adversely affected by coronavirus if, for example:

  • You’re unable to work because you:
    • are shielding
    • are self-isolating
    • are on sick leave because of coronavirus
    • have caring responsibilities because of coronavirus
  • You’ve had to scale down or temporarily stop trading because:
    • your supply chain has been interrupted
    • you have fewer or no customers or clients
    • your staff are unable to come in to work

You should keep any evidence that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus at the time you made your claim, such as:

  • business accounts showing a reduction in turnover
  • confirmation of any coronavirus-related business loans you have received
  • dates your business had to close due to lockdown restrictions
  • dates you or your staff were unable to work due to coronavirus symptoms, shielding or caring responsibilities

You will need to report both grants:

The grant should be treated as income received on the day it’s paid for any Universal Credit claims or tax credit changes.

If any one has any questions please contact us and we will be happy to help.